06 September 2010

Points

Casey visited for the long weekend...thank goodness.  The two weeks we were apart seemed unbearable toward the end.  Of course, I knew I would get through it...and of course, I did.  But it was nice to have him here.  While he was here, we explored Missoula, and I showed him things about the town that I liked.  I would continue to say "point for Missoula" whenever he or we discovered something we liked.  I love it here, and I am trying to convince him that it would be a nice place to settle down at and start a family. Over the course of the weekend we would say "point for Missoula for the great Farmer's market" or "point for the valley (Lewiston-Clarkston) because it's close to family," etc.  As we sat on the curb Saturday night eating a scoop of home-made ice cream at the Big Dipper near downtown Missoula, Casey said two things that have stuck with me: "point for Missoula because there I don't feel judged here," and "point for Missoula because people are out-and-about doing things." 

He is so right about not feeling like I am constantly being judged in Missoula.  It seems crazy to think this is even possible.  Even in Wallowa County, I feel like I am constantly being judged based on what I wear, who my family is, why I am walking down the street, why I use a reusable shopping bag, etc.  And in Pullman, it was even worse...  But in Missoula, the feeling is different.  I feel like I can go out wearing something I am completely comfortable in, walk down any street in town (yes, even next to a trailor park), and carry flowers or a stack of books in my "chico bag" and nobody will look twice.  It is a great feeling, and it is hard to describe until you feel it for yourself.

And yes, people are out doing things! What an amazing idea! Yes, it is probably different in the winter time when there are several feet of snow, but during the summer the town is alive and vibrant.  We sat and licked our ice cream cones fairly late in the evening and saw several people around down town (some obviously drinking, but some not).  Also when we were out an about Saturday and Sunday during the morning and afternoons, the town was "hopping." People were on-the-go, walking around, visiting shops, walking the trails, riding bikes, visiting the local Saturday and Farmer's markets...and the weather was not even that great.  It is the polar opposite in the valley.  I often wonder where everyone is there.  It is just a completely different attitude toward the ideas of "community," life, family, and well-being. 

No comments:

Post a Comment