13 December 2010

XC Skiing

First day ever on skis: SUCCESS

My friend Emily and I went on a Beginner XC Ski trip through the outdoor rec program on campus.  The two of us, two ski instructors, and about 10 other eager XC skiers loaded up our gear and our bodies in two university SUV's and headed up to Lolo Pass.  We skiied around a little practice loop for a while (after getting the awful downhill in the beginning), then had the choice of taking the longer 5 or 6 mile loop, or the shorter 2 or 3 mile loop.  Because I hadn't yet gotten the hang of it, I without a doubt in my mind chose the shorter loop.  Emily, another participant, Skyler, our ski instructor John and myself ventured out on the short loop.  After making it around once, we were all amazed that it hadn't taken that long and that we hadn't really fallen too much (except on the downhills and uphills).  We stopped for a quick snack and headed around the short loop again!! So we almost went as long as the long loop people went :)  Toward the end, I was exhausted, and honestly couldn't wait to get back home and take a shower.  On the last little uphill, I lost my determination, took off my skis, and walked up the hill (which is also very difficult in deep powdery snow).  Despite my frustration, I had a great time.  "Gliding" around the loops felt so good.  I loved the feeling of working every part of my body, and being able to view beautiful scenery at the same time.

Today...I am sore. I can move, but my entire body aches. Nevertheless, I will be XC skiing again!



No comments:

Post a Comment