09 December 2010

Whewwwwww

That is my sigh of relief.  The semester is almost over.  It has been a whirlwind these past few months...to say the least.  I have a presentation tomorrow, then one exam, one paper, and one project due next week during finals week...SO CLOSE! I really do enjoy my time here, but I am so ready for a break.  It has been an intense semester...just with the graduate level courses, and being away from my family and Casey for extended periods of time (Casey and I are currently on day 11 of 19 days between seeing each other).  Might sound cliche, but I have learned so MUCH about myself, my relationships with others, and about this thing we call life. Here are some of the highlights:

1. That I CAN give a presentation and not be completely nervous and sick about it. (Last one of the semester happens tomorrow-and look at me, I'm in a coffee shop, blogging! Hooray.  This is definitely progress since high school, and even college).

2. How to effectively run a Basketball class filled with 25 male and 3 female college students.  It warmed my heart to hear how pleased they were with the class today as we said our "goodbye's"

3. That I enjoy my alone time.  Sometimes there is nothing I love more than being in my room, curled up with my blanket, reading a book and sipping tea.  This didn't seem to go over well with my classmates at first...I was too lonely, too isolated, and lived too far away in their opinions.  But I call BS! I hung out with them when I wanted to and had an absolutely glorious time.  As for the other times...I just wanted to fulfill my hermit-ish desires :)

4.  That I can survive on my own.  There was never a doubt in my mind that I could be independent and didn't need a man by my side.  I have done it successfully before.  However, I was still skeptical how my relationship with Casey would turn out if we lived over four hours away from each other and could only see each other every few weekends due to busy schedules and such.  After living apart for 15 weeks, I'd say we're doing just fine.  I know we have three more semesters to go, but we both agree that we will without a doubt "make-it" and that our relationship is still thriving.

5.  That I am easily intimidated, but often for illegitimate reasons (or no reason at all). I am still working on this.  I tend to read too much into e-mails and conversations, leading me to be cautious with my interactions with certain individuals. I will mention no names.  I need to get over it though. 

6.  I am addicted to caffeine.  I kind of already knew this before.  But I have really realized how comforting it is to give into my habit to have that tall nonfat white chocolate mocha before my Anthropology class on Tuesdays and Thursdays and before graduate seminar of Fridays.  Also, I usually have one Monday, Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday while I am studying.  I have tried a few times to give it up--but I always come to the conclusion "Why am I depriving myself of something I enjoy so much?!?"  In sum, I think it is an okay habit, but perhaps I should practice it in moderation.

7.  What a world of difference taking daily vitamins can make.  I feel so much more awake!!

That is all. Hopefully over my magical, relaxing, amazing five weeks in Joseph and Clarkston I will be able to blog more.  No papers, exams, basketball students or class.  Just five weeks to myself.  I can't remember the last time that happened.  Maybe when I was 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment