01 October 2010

Graduate school...

"isn't about the studying and the thesis, it's about the trip to Great Falls, MT to visit the Sip & Dip and to see the mermaids with your classmates..."  One of my professors said this to a few of us who gathered last night at a local bar/restaurant to say good-bye to two of the girls who just finished their Masters in the Health Promotion.  After she said this I glanced at her to determine whether she was serious or joking...and she was dead serious.  I got to thinking about this a little more...and she is right.  If I can make new friends, explore new things, and have a good time, the rest will fall into place.  Of course, I need to give myself ample time to study and do the thesis, but if I am happy and healthy in other aspects of my life, it will come almost naturally.  I think most people can do better work when they are happy.  Happiness just puts you in a better state of mind, and in a better place to be successful than if you were sad, lonely or cranky.  I loved that she said this.  I think it is so true. 

*For those who are wondering, I have never been to Great Falls, but apparently it is not a very exciting town, EXCEPT for the Sip & Dip.  I am told there is always a line out the door to get in, and that they have great drinks.  AND, there are girls who dress as mermaids and swim in a tank behind the bar all night.  I wonder how they breathe.  Do they come up for air every few minutes?...that wouldn't be very real-like because mermaids do not have to do that.  Do they wear scuba gear so they can stay under the whole time?...Tacky!! I will never know until I visit Great Falls.  Our classmate Kelly just got engaged, and she said she wouldn't mind her bachelorette party being at the infamous Sip & Dip.  Actually, according to Kelly, the Sip & Dip was rated as one of the best bars in the west in the men's magazine, Maxim.  I don't know whether that's a good thing or not....

No comments:

Post a Comment