08 April 2010

Just say no

We always hear the message 'Just Say No.' I think this is usually referring to drugs, alcohol, unprotected sex, and things of that nature.  Because whenever I am on the receiving end of a 'no' answer, it isn't any fun.  I strongly dislike being told 'no.'  If I want to do something (or want someone to do something for me) I want it to happen.  It's selfish...I know...but I can't help.  If I really work on accepting 'no' as an answer, it will probably get better, but it is just something I haven't needed to work on...until now. 

I understand that there will be times in my life when things won't go my way.  My boyfriend will already have plans with his friends, my co-workers will have other priorities to tend to before getting to my issue, my kids will not want to hang out with me...haha, thinking long term here.  It is just a fact of life.  But honestly, in the past, I have not really had to face it.  Friends here in Pullman are pretty easy going, and I don't really overstep my boundaries with them, my parents were good about supporting me and saying 'yes', I haven't had a serious job where I've needed collaboration from co-workers, and I obviously do not have any children yet.  I guess accepting 'no' as an answer is a part of growing up...a part of growing up that I'm not exactly looking forward too.  Nevertheless, learning this lesson will probably get me further along in my relationships with others than throwing a temper tantrum every time they tell me no.  So I guess it's something I should work on ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment