05 April 2010

Mindfulness

In my Easter basket was the book "Wherever You Go There You Are" by John Kabat-Zinn.  I was automatically drawn to this book because of the title-it's so true! Wherever you go...there you are!
I have only read through the first few chapters so far, but I just want to share some of the points that I feel are extremely important for me to remember (and you can feel free to remember them too if you'd like!):

1. "If what happens now does influence what happens next, then doesn't it make sense to look around a bit from time to time so that you are more in touch with what is happening now--so that you can take your inner and outer bearings and perceive with clarity the path that you are actually on and the direciton in which you are going?" (p. xvi) 
I think this is especially important for me to remember, and something I currently struggle with.  I am so caught up in planning the "perfect" future for myself and for those that I love.  BUT, if I take time to think and concentrate in only the "here and now" won't that automatically lead to the best future? I think it will-since every moment predicts the next moment. My first goal: live in the now, it will lead to the best possible outcome.

2. "When it comes down to it, wherever YOU go, there YOU are. It's YOUR life that is unfolding" (p. xvii)
This is so true too! I believe I said something along these lines when I was describing the title of this blog (altogether separate)...maybe I could write a book and make the big bucks ;) It is MY life that I am living-only I can truly know what I think, feel, believe and know.

3. "[Mindfulness] is a way to take charge of the direction and quality of our own lives, including our relationships within the family, our relationship to work and to the larger world and planet, and most fundamentally, our relationship with ourself as a person...It is the direct opposite of taking life for granted" (p. 5).
My second goal: to strive to not take life for granted. I believe it is something we are all guilty of-even it is taking for granted the smallest things. I WANT to take charge of my life, my relationships, and my part in this world.  I want to be fully aware of what I am doing here, why I am here, and where I am.  This can only begin when I stop taking things for granted...

I think that's enough mindfulness for now.  I look forward to this journey throughout the rest of the book and throughout the rest of my life (but, most importantly this very moment) taking into consideration these thoughts and principals...mindfulness is something we could all do with a little bit (or a lot) more of.

No comments:

Post a Comment