04 November 2010

Drama, bullying, and tears

Being friends with my sister and some of her junior high friends on facebook allows me to take a look at what goes on in their lives.  I am constantly reminded of my junior high days...all the drama, relational bullying and tears are so sad.   In my health promotion class we discuss and debate the importance of kindness, patience, and being non-judgemental and how these factors can influence our health and the health of others. Some believe it, others do not. But if this is true, junior high girls are setting themselves and their peers up for defeat. 

I truly hope this is a phase for them (as it was for some of the girls in my class), but I would imagine that some of them will carry on those personality traits with them through their whole lives.  This leads to even a stickier debate....where are these behaviors learned, and whose responsibility is it to "teach" the "correct" behaviors.  These are questions that will potentially never be answered.  Personally, I believe that it is the role of the parents to socialize their little munchkins into "model citizens."  But I have seen even the best parents might raise "little bullies."  So should the responsibility also lie in the school system? Maybe they ignore the bullying, therefore perpetuating it.  Or perhaps some teachers are modeling the bullying behavior....I remember one like that.  The cycle of blame can go on and on...bottom line is that it needs to stop.  Many girls out grow it, but some do not, and it is these girls who I hope I don't ever irritate or anger :)

No comments:

Post a Comment