01 August 2010

Summertime

The summertime bug has got me.  It's been about a month since a blog post. Shame on me.  It really has been a crazy, busy, and fast summer. In just twenty short days I will be on my way to Missoula, Montana to begin my next big adventure.  It's an adventure that I'm both excited and super nervous about.  I'm thankful for the opportunity to further my education in an area that I truly am passionate and excited to learn more about.  However, I'm nervous about adjusting to a new city, being away from the one that I love, being away from my family, being away from my fabulous WSU and Joseph friends, and finding enough focus to excel in my graduate studies.  That being said...there is only one thing I can do: Just do it.  The only way I will get through it is to take one day at a time, live in the moment, and remember to count my blessings.

Summer activities have ranged from attending early morning cowboy breakfast, relaxing on the Snake, mentoring an amazing 14-year-old, folding loads of laundry, and running my first ever Family Play Group! It truly has been wild and full of unforgetable people, relationships, and learning experiences. 

Casey and I found ourselves once again enjoying the music and booze of the thunder room.  Again, it was a great time with friends followed by pancakes and eggs at the ever-so-famous cowboy breakfast at 2:00 a.m.  This was our second Chief Joseph Days together...wow. 

We finally had a weekend a few weeks ago where we didn't have ANYTHING planned. It was amazing.  The previous eight weekends were all booked, and on our first free weekend we enjoyed the sunshine both days on the Snake River.  I can't wait to be on the water again this next weekend for Casey's company getaway trip up the Snake. 

Mentoring.  Something I never thought I would be good at...and at first I don't think I was.  However, I have really started appreciating my time with my  mentee.  We have learned a lot from each other and I'm sure we will miss our time together.  She has a long ways to go still, but with a little support from community members, I am confident she will succeed.  Just remember-a smile and a hug can go a long ways!

Unfortunately for me, I took on the night job from last summer at the motel again. It is only two nights a week, but still the worst part of the week.  I try to make the best of it, and it really isn't THAT bad...it could be worse.  It's extra money and that never hurts.  Working this job two nights a week makes me thankful for my education and the fact that I will be able to have a "normal" weekday job. 

Family Play Group! All summer at BHF I had been planning curriculum for a parent-child play group.  With the opening of the new Learning Center set for after I leave, we decided it would be a good idea for me to implement my curriculum with a different target audience.  We invited the families that different staff members at BHF home visit for a variety of reasons.  These family play groups have been quite a whirlwind.  My passion is NOT working with one to five year olds.  I enjoy them, but I also enjoy order and perfection-two things that are not possible with a group of toddlers.  Week one saw no attendees.  Week two (with incentives and door prizes) saw 12 children (5 families).  Whew-zero to 17 people in one short week was not what I had in mind.  I was overwhelmed, but thanks to my co-workers, remembered to look at the bright side.  All kids took home a free book, all kids sat still during story and song time, a family in need won a Safeway gift card, and a mom who is usually against any sort of parenting information asked a clarifying question about my handout.  They were engaged, and many positives came from the group-but Wowza, hopefully next time I have additional co-workers for support! Week three was much different than week two.  We had 3 children (3 families).  Much more laid back, parents interacted with each other, and it was not so LOUD!  What will week four have in store...?

Those are the summer highlights in a nutshell. More to come as the adventure rolls on...

No comments:

Post a Comment